Booking Terms & Conditions
1. HOLIDAY PAYMENT You must pay a deposit per person at the time of booking. The balance of the price of the holiday is due for payment no less than 6 weeks before departure for all holidays. The person making the booking accepts responsibility for paying for all the people on the booking. You must be at least 18 years old to make a booking with us. Holidays with included tickets/admission may occasionally require a higher deposit payment. The deposit belongs to us as soon as the contract comes into existence. You must pay the full price to us at least 6 weeks before departure. If you do not make this payment on time, we reserve the right to cancel the holiday and keep the deposit.
2. OUR AGREEMENT A contract is made when we, or your travel agent, verbally confirms your booking or, if you make your booking online, when it is confirmed by the issue of an electronic confirmation and invoice at the end of the booking process. For all bookings (other than bookings confirmed online), we will endeavour to post our confirmation to you or your travel agent within 3 days of receiving your payment.
3. HOLIDAY CANCELLATION BY YOU You may cancel your confirmed booking at any time before departure. You may also transfer your booking as referred to below. If you want to cancel your booking after we have confirmed it, you must do so by email or in writing by posting or hand delivering it to us or your travel agent. Your notice of cancellation will only be effective when it is received in writing by us at our office or your travel agent. We will ask you to pay cancellation charges per person on the scale shown below based on your original booking departure date. In calculating these cancellation charges, we have taken account of possible cost savings and the generation of income from other bookings which may be able to utilise cancelled services to the extent this is likely to be achievable.
Loss of Deposit
30% of total holiday price
50% of total holiday price
75% of total holiday price
7 days or less
100% of total holiday price
Where any excursions are pre-booked, the cost is not refundable in the event of cancellation of the holiday after the balance due date. You may be able to make a claim under your travel insurance policy if your cancellation falls within the conditions of the policy. Claims must be made directly to the insurance company concerned. Where any cancellation reduces the number of full paying party members below the number on which the price and/or any concessions (including free places for group bookings) agreed for your booking were based, we will recalculate these items and re-invoice you accordingly.
4. HOLIDAY ALTERATION BY YOU You may transfer your booking or your place on the booking to someone else (introduced by you) without payment of our cancellation charges provided the person to whom you are making the transfer satisfies all the conditions which form part of your contract with us. Requests for a transfer must be made in writing at least 7 days prior to departure and must be accompanied by the name and other applicable details of the replacement person. Where a transfer to a person of your choice can be made, all costs and charges incurred by us and/or incurred or imposed by any of our suppliers as a result, together with an amendment fee of £15 per person, must be paid before the transfer can be implemented.
5. ALTERATIONS AND CANCELLATIONS BY US Our holidays are organised on the basis that a minimum number of persons will travel. If we receive insufficient bookings then we may cancel the Holiday in which case we will notify you of this at least 7 days before the date of departure. Should you choose to have your money refunded, this will be done so by either credit card, debit card or cheque. We regret that there may be circumstances in which we have to change the details of your Holiday. If the changes we make are only minor, for instance an alteration to your seat numbers, then we will attempt to notify you of these changes as soon as possible and the Contract will continue in force. In the unusual event that we have to make a significant change to your Holiday (for example a change in resort, a notable deletion from the holiday itinerary, a change of departure or arrival date or a downgrade in the quality of accommodation offered to you) we will notify you as soon as possible. If we make a significant change to the Holiday before your departure, you may cancel your Holiday by notifying us within 5 working days of receipt by you of our notification (or, in exceptional circumstances, within a shorter period of time if our notice to you so requires). If you cancel your Holiday In accordance with this clause we will reimburse in full, the deposit and any other monies received from you in respect of the Holiday.
6. CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND OUR CONTROL We shall not be liable for any delay in performing any of our obligations under this Contract where the delay is due to circumstances beyond our control. Examples of circumstances beyond our control are strikes and exceptionally bad weather. However, if any of our suppliers or agent let us down, this will not be treated as being a cause beyond our control.
7. ITINERARY CHANGES It may be necessary, sometimes at short notice or without any prior notice, to make changes to an itinerary due to weather, traffic or road conditions and other circumstances outside our control. Regrettably, coaches and ferries do occasionally break down or suffer mechanical or technical problems, or certain facilities on board a coach or ferry may become faulty/unavailable. Every effort will be made to rectify such issues as quickly as possible. In some instances it may be necessary to replace the vehicle which cannot be repaired. We cannot accept any responsibility for delays caused by any form of breakdown.
8. TRAVEL DELAY Whilst we try to avoid delays, unfortunately, they occasionally happen. If there is a delay, we will endeavour to minimise any discomfort. We shall not be responsible for reimbursement of any payment you have to make unless we have given our agreement beforehand.
9. CONDITIONS OF SUPPLIERS Many of the services which make up your holiday are provided by independent suppliers. Those suppliers provide these services in accordance with their own terms and conditions. Some of these terms and conditions may limit or exclude the suppliers liability to you, usually in accordance with applicable international conventions. Copies of the relevant parts of these terms and conditions are available on request from the supplier concerned.
10. SPECIAL REQUESTS We will endeavour to pass on any reasonable requests to the relevant supplier (e.g. dietary, cots, ground floor accommodation), but cannot promise that any request will be honoured. We may not always be able to tell you before you leave if the supplier cannot meet your special request. For your own protection, you should obtain confirmation in writing from us that your request will be complied with (where it is possible for us to give this) if your request is important to you. Confirmation that a special request has been noted or passed on to the supplier, or the inclusion of the special request on your confirmation invoice or any other documentation, is not confirmation that the request will be met. Unless and until specifically confirmed in writing, all special requests are subject to availability. Any special requirement which we have accepted will be specifically confirmed as accepted on your confirmation invoice.
11. COMPLAINTS PROCEDURE Should you have a complaint about any aspect of your holiday, you must notify one of the coach crew, or one of our representatives, together with the supplier of the services in question, immediately so that the problem can be quickly resolved during your holiday. Failure to report any issues in resort could invalidate any claims made upon your return. If the matter cannot be resolved to your satisfaction straight away, you must immediately email our Customer Relations department.
12. OUR LIABILITY AND RESPONSIBILITY TO YOU We take every care to ensure that your Holiday will be as enjoyable and safe as possible. If anything goes wrong with your holiday that is directly our fault then we accept responsibility to compensate you. We also accept responsibility to compensate you if it is the fault of our staff or anyone else providing the Holiday to you and this may include the hotel owner and ferry operator. However, the maximum amount of compensation that we will pay you is: (a) Unlimited in case of death or personal injury, (b) Limited to the price of the individual Holiday if you suffer any other loss or damage. This is in addition to anything we may pay you under clause (a).
13. PRE-EXISTING ILLNESS OR DISABILITY Whilst MacPhails Travel will always reasonably fulfil a duty of care to all travelers, it is the responsibility of the client to make proper contingency for any pre-existing illness or disability. MacPhails Travel will provide advice and guidance regarding the suitability of any holiday on an individual basis, but cannot be held responsible for any circumstances arising from a failure to disclose any illness or disability which may render the holiday unsuitable or untenable. Clients travelling against medical advice may jeopardise their right to any claim under any travel insurance policy they may have for the Holiday.
14. ASSISTANCE DOGS We are happy to carry assistance dogs on our holidays. To qualify as an assistance dog, the dog must be specifically trained to assist a person by a member organisation of Assistance Dogs International or the International Guide Dog Federation. This includes the following organisations: Canine Partners, Dog A.I.D, Dogs for Good, Guide Dogs for the Blind Association, Hearing Dogs for Deaf People, Medical Detection Dogs and Support Dogs.
15. RULES AND REGULATIONS You agree to abide by our rules and regulations in force from time to time. In particular, you agree not to smoke or consume alcoholic beverages while travelling on our coaches. Any serious breach of the rules and regulations or unreasonable conduct by you will entitle us to refuse a booking or exclude you from the remainder of the Holiday and you will be responsible for your own costs and ours. We accept your booking on the basis that you have told us about any disability that you suffer and any reason that could make it unwise for you to travel. If you are disabled or maybe unfit to travel you should provide full information at the time of booking.